For the third year, the US Department of Energy has chosen TC Legend Homes for one of its Housing Innovation Awards in the “Custom for Buyer” category. Check out the photos of the award-winning zero-energy project.
- Walls: R-29, 6″ SIP taped at all interior and exterior joints, fiber cement siding.
- Roof: R-42, 10″ SIP taped at all interior and exterior joints. Ice-and-water shield, asphalt shingles.
- Attic: None.
- Foundation: R-23 ICF stem walls, R-20 rigid foam under slab.
- Windows: Triple-pane, vinyl-framed, low-e windows, U=0.21.
- Air Sealing: 0.60 ACH 50
- Ventilation: Timered exhaust fans.
- HVAC: Evacuated tube solar hot water and 4.5 COP air-to-water heat pump for in-floor radiant hydronic heat.
- Hot Water: Air-to-water heat pump, 4.5 COP.
- Lighting: 100% LED
- Appliances: ENERGY STAR refrigerator, clothes washer, range hood; induction cooktop.
- Solar: 9.5-kW PV, evacuated tube solar hot water.
- Water Conservation: Low-flow fixtures; centrally located water heater.
- Other: Low-VOC paints and finishes. Electric car charging station.
- Layout: 4 bdrm, 2.5 bath, 2 fl, 2,463 ft2
- Climate: IECC 4C, marine
- Completed: May 2016
- Category: custom for buyer
Modeled Performance Data
- HERS Index: without PV 44, with PV -2
- Projected Annual Energy Costs: without PV $1,053, with PV $25
- Projected Annual Energy Cost Savings: (vs home built to 2012 IECC) without PV $811, with PV $1,889
- Annual Energy Savings: without PV 9,453 kWh, with PV 20,993 kWh
Download the US Department of Energy poster.